DEEPAWALI ACROSS INDIA
BOONDI LADDU RECIPE
- 2 cups Gram Flour
- 2 & 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Chee
- 10-12 Cashews
- 2-3 tsp Raisins
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Large pinch of Cooking Soda
- 2 Pinches Yellow Food Colour
- 2 Cloves
- Water as needed
- Step 1 Add gram flour, yellow food colour & cooking soda. Mix everything well.
- Step 2 Pour water little by little & mix the batter until it is thick but runny (loose)
- Step 3 Heat oil for deep frying the boondi. Place the boondi ladle over the hot oil at a height. Take a ladle of batter & pour it over the boondi ladle. Using another ladle, make circular motion on the batter over the boondi ladle as if making a dosa. The batter trickles down the pores of the boondi ladle into the oil.
- Step 4 Space the batter evenly so the kadai is not over crowded. It the batter consistency is thick then it forms tails at the end of the boondi.
- Step 5 Fry the boondi for less than a minute, so it’s not crisp but cooked. It should be soft. Remove the cooked boondi from the oil on to a tissue paper to drain excess oil.
- Step 6 Repeat the same for the rest of the batter. Before every change makes sure the back of the boondi ladle is wiped clean to get even shaped boondi after every round.
- Step 7 Prepare the sugar syrup – Boil sugar water for 5 to 7 minures in a pan. Make sure the sugar is immersed in the water. Once it starts ot bubbe boil the syrup starts to thicken.
- Step 8 The consistency of the syrup has to be stringy. You can feel the conistency by touching the syrup on the ladle. Feel the same with both your index and thumb finger. If it forms a distinct double string the syrup is ready.
- Step 9 Switch off the heat, adding cardamom powder & and a small tiny pinch of edible camphor.
- Step 10 Put all the boondi into the sugar syrup & mix well.
- Step 11 Keep mixing evenly until it is warm enough for making balls.
- Step 12 Add fried cashew, raisins and cloves (in ghee).
- Step 13 Feel the warmth of the mixutre & start making balls by pressing gently.
Tips: Store in airtight container
Read more WHEAT FLOUR HALWA RECIPE